Best Surge Protector for 2021
Updated on: March 21, 2021
Power surges can happen anytime when we least expect it. There are a few factors that cause such surges like high-powered electrical units, faulty wiring, power lines that have been downed, even lightning. When power surges occur, high amounts of electricity will come at a sudden wave and possible ruin your electrical appliances at home, at the office, or anywhere else that uses such devices. In areas that frequently suffers unannounced power interruptions, it is the bane of many households because of what it can do to their appliances once the power comes back and homeowners fail to unplug them.
- 1 In a Hurry? The test winner after 35 hrs of research
- 2 Buying Guide for the Top Surge Protectors
- 3 Best Surge Protectors
- 3.1 Belkin 12-Outlet Pivot-Plug
- 3.2 Tripp Lite 12 Outlet Surge Protector
- 3.3 APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector
- 3.4 Accell Powramid 6 Outlet Surge Protector
- 3.5 Tripp Lite 1 Outlet Portable Surge Protector
- 3.6 APC P11VT3
- 3.7 Bestek 8-Outlet
- 3.8 Tripp Lite TLP26
- 3.9 Belkin BP108000
- 3.10 Lanshion 8 Outlet Surge Protector
- 3.11 How We Evaluated
- 3.12 Conclusion
In a Hurry? The test winner after 35 hrs of research
- Surge Protector Multi-Outlet Power Strip: Power everything on your desk with a single compact surge-protected extension cord. This reputable power cord offers 12 AC outlets with surge protection for charging your computer, laptop, phone, camera, and more. One charging station for a clutter-free desk.
- Compact Space-Saving Pivot Outlet: Developed with rotating outlets to allow extra room for large AC adapter and charger bricks. The cord-management system keeps cables organized. The slender design with an 8 ft/2.4-meters long heavy-duty cord makes it ideal for home offices, workstations, and game rooms.
- Power Bar with Phone Line Protection: Featuring a 1-in-2-out RJ11 telephone or fax protection to ensure open and continuous phone line connections. It also provides a coaxial cable protection to safeguard cable box and satellite connections. The damage-resistant housing protects circuits from fire, impact, and rust.
- Reliable Product and Service: Purchase with confidence as it is backed by a lifetime warranty and protected by 300,000 dollar Connected Equipment Warranty. Check out the full specs: 6,000 volts maximum spike voltage, 15A AC (4 stationary outlets, and 8 rotating outlets), 125V, 1875W, and 150K Hz - 100M Hz EMI/RFI Noise Filter.
- Safeguard Your Devices and Appliances: The electric strip has a 4,320-Joule energy rating providing a reliable power extension cord to protect printers, appliances, and home theater systems. It secures your electronic devices from overload, short circuit, power spikes, lightning strikes, or fluctuations.
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Such occurrence can cause damage to these electrical devices and may even lead to electrocutions and fires. This is what lead to the creation of surge protectors. They are usually in box form with multiple electrical outlets with a single cable much like an extension cord but with added protective features to block out power surges. Like many protective devices that involves electricity, there is a wide variety available today but are not created equally as some have more features and some simply have the basics. In accordance to positive reviews by those who are knowledgeable about these devices, we’ve listed down a buying guide that will help you pick a surge protector that will help you keep your electronics at home safe.
Buying Guide for the Top Surge Protectors
Under this guide, we have listed five of the top surge protectors around. This includes familiar brands that have been producing devices with the best features. Before we get to this list, first you must determine the factors that must be taken into consideration before buying right away.
How many ports do you require?
Surge protectors have multiple ports to accommodate different electrical devices. They could come as many as 12 ports. It’s best to get a surge protector that has a good number of ports so that no daisy-chaining would be required.
What electrical devices will you be plugging to it?
Electrical appliances are built differently and some do pull in more current than others. Refrigerators and televisions would require a surge protector built for such appliances. Desk lamps, electronic alarm clocks, and similar smaller devices could use a cheaper but a high-quality surge protector.
Is it safe to use?
Everything that comes out in the market should’ve passed a strict set of tests and be labeled accordingly to reassure consumers that it will serve its purpose without causing harm to anyone. In the case of surge protectors, it must first undergo Underwriter’s Laboratories to be certified. Under UL 1449, all transient voltage surge suppressors have met the standards for it to be released for consumer usage.
Will the surge protector do what it’s supposed to?
Check to see if the surge protector packaging has details regarding energy absorption and clamping voltage. All surge protectors are given the capability to take in as much energy as it will allow and in this case, 6-700 joules should be the minimum and anything with a higher capacity is definitely better. The clamping voltage should activate the surge protector to do its thing. Here is where lower voltages are better and should only be up to 400 V. When it comes to its time of response, basically, it should be fast and should go as low as possible.
Is it warrantied?
Devices like this should come with customer support from the creators. Make sure that it comes with a warranty. Surge protectors could fail and its best to get it replaced if it gets damaged after only serving a few days or so.
Best Surge Protectors
If you’re looking for the best multi-port surge protector, the Belkin Pivot-Plug features 12 spots for your electrical devices. The design couldn’t be better as it can be tilted at 90 degrees to accommodate large plugs and adapters in different angles. This is also suitable for devices that would be heavily affected once it had to suddenly shut down like computer hardware. The Belkin Pivot-Plug’s power will remain on. At 4320 joules of energy rating and an input of 125 volts, it has 4 steady outlets and 8 rotary ones where power is delivered through an 8 ft power cable. Attached to a warranty of $300,000 for connected devices, you’re sure that you won’t be shelling more money for damaged house equipment. It’s featured with a 1-in and 2-out RJ11 telephone and FAX protection. All in all, one of the top products you could grab today.
- Great design for saving space
- Has reasonable pricing
- Has issues with warranty
The Tripp Lite brand with its line of surge protectors are making headlines and one could see why. It also has all the features you could ever need to protect your devices and more. There are 12 outlets that coaxially shields your appliances from dangerous energy spikes with RJ11 built-in and jacks in gold at 2.2GHz to protect phones and modems. It has a power absorption rating of 2,880 joules and adheres to safety standards of UL 1449. An 8 ft AC cable powers it up that offers much reach. Tripp Lite threw in an insurance worth $150,000 in case any of your equipment has suffered a power surge damage while plugged into this surge protector. Best keep this one on your list of options.
- It is very functional with tones of outlets
- Committed to their warranty
- It has a EMI/RFI AC line noise protection
- About 8 of the outlets are too close to each other
- Connection becomes weak after being routed
The APC 11 is surge protector with 11 outlets incorporated with 3 power strip outlets on the sides with 5 more spaced at the top for larger adapters. Telephones and modems are protected through its coaxial output and input. A notable feature in this model are outlets that save power by automatically shutting off the power while everything else plugged into the surge protector still runs. It even offers the option of closing outlets not in used. Its power strip is at 3020 joules with 8 ft of cord and a rotation of 180 degrees. APC 11 comes with a $100,000 warranty for your electronics.
- Well spaced that allows up to 8 adaptors
- Comes with a quality control receipt and the features are superb
- Well designed
- Has issues with warranty claims
- Design flaw concerning the RJ protection port
How We Evaluated
We took into account a variety of products, 100’s of different customer reviews but also experts’ feedback in order to review and outline the right product for you.
Power surges happen unexpectedly. The only way to protect the electronics in your home is to provide them with with the right protection that surge protectors can give. With so many models being sold, they are created in different ways to cater to the different needs of the masses. This i why you better get to know what kind of surge protector you need for its usage. While some are more expensive, if they have the right key features, it is best to get the ones that will do its job. Electricity is a powerful force than can wreak havoc to your home if you’re not careful. You can do your homework and research for more options as well. The important thing is to be able to get what you paid for in the long run.